Sunday, January 2, 2011

More about the half-way drop-out

As I mentioned above, I am quitting school all but my ceramics, advanced drawing, and french 2 classes. My wonderful mother is very much to blame for this decision, because each and every time I come home from school and cry my eyes out about how hateful it is there, she calmly repeats just as she does every time, that there are a million things to do, and that I am welcome to drop out at anytime. So i am finally taking her advice. I am sick of school, I am sick of research projects in am. gym class, and how the school system only cares about our education because the better we do on tests, the more funding the school receives. It's messed up. I'm usually not a quitter, but i actually don't consider this quitting, since I'll get so much more out of my life this way. I'll be able to make and sell my hemp jewelery, finally, and paint and draw and go on snowshoe hikes. I've never been snowshoe hiking, but in my head, it's a worthwhile thing to do, even though i hate hiking. much of my inspiration to quit school came from and awesome book that you should read if you hate school, called The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn. I am in the process of reading it, and it's awesome. The date today is January second, and this is the last day of winter break. Two mind-frazzling weeks of school will follow, and then we will have semester finals, and then I can begin my new and vibrantly more interesting life. Cheers!
I just got back from the house of one of my best friends, where we talked about school and, no surprise here, she positively hates it. We also talked about how the social scene is almost worse than the academics. In order to be popular, you just have to be rich, or throw big drinking parties at your big fancy house, or do a lot of things you won't be proud of in a few years. Once you're popular, you go to other rich kids drinking parties in their big fancy houses, stab your friends in the back and say completely untruthful things about these people.  What the heck? This is clearly NOT what life was made for! And so my friend decided that she wants to quit school too. She's and incredibly talented musician, and she wants more time to pursue her passion. I wish her the best of luck. She's so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment