Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Letter To A Friend

This is written to a real person who is very dear to me, but who will remain nameless for the sake of publishing this.

Dear Friend, what happened? You were my sister, and now I don't even know you. I know what you look like, I know where you live, but as for your heart and your life, they've become strangers to me. And I don't like that. We've grown apart, and it seems like we're not even friends sometimes. You barely talk to me anymore, but I don't blame you. Sometimes when life gets difficult we push away our friends. And for you, life is hard right now. You are just realizing the price of finding meaning and individuality, and you're finding out how lonely it all can be. I know it's tempting, but don't let these things make you bitter. Bitterness is easy in the present, but costly in the long run, because when you look back at life you will want to see a beautiful soul who let things, and people, and love inside her heart, instead of someone who closed up like a dead little plant and never let the magic of life in. As human beings we naturally want to make something beautiful out our lives, but making something beautiful out of life not only means celebrating the breathless moments of perfect wonder, but letting yourself be broken open and torn apart as well, accepting the sorrow and the pain in your chest, and knowing that through it all, no matter what you think, there will always be kind people who will comfort you. Not only people to comfort you, but a big God, who sees your pain, but also sees the end of your hurting, and loves you more than simple human reasoning can fathom.
   
      The most beautiful choice you can make in pursuit of your beautiful life is to CHOOSE JOY. What a concept, right? This was a revelation to me, and it is honestly something that has changed my life for the unbelievably better. My favorite verse in the Bible is also one of the shortest; 1 Thessalonians 5:16 says 'Rejoice always,' that's it. Paul then goes on to say in verses 17 and 18, 'pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.' Whenever I read this in puts my heart at peace. It's not a long list of things you must do, it's just a simple way of thought that will lift your heart closer to your heavenly father.

     Listen: the world is so big. Sometimes when I think about this it's so amazing that I want lay down on the earth and cry. Don't be discouraged by what goes on in your tiny little pinpoint on the map. There is an entire planet full of places to lose yourself and places to find yourself. I know that joy is waiting for you, and I can't wait to see where it takes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment