Monday, August 6, 2012

Bon Voyage, Brother! (And Lizzy)

This morning at 6am, my brother, Walter, left for Ethiopia for the first time in his life. I am extremely excited to hear about his adventures when he returns. It is amazing to think that last year at this time, it was me getting on the plane, taking off for the happiest two weeks of my life. The two weeks that would force me to re-examine my future, and make some drastic descisions that would begin my long journey of trying to return to Ethiopia. One member of Walt's team is Lizzy, my neighbor/close friend/previous Ethiopia roomate. Last night Lizzy and I went on a long walk, and talked about all that she hoped to accomplish this time around, some ways it would be different from the previous trip, and how desperately I wished I was going with her and Walt and the rest of their team. When I came home from her house (where we like to watch the Olympics and hula hoop), the sadness I had been supressing for the majority of the evening finally built up and ruptured inside me. I wish it were me going back! People I know get to go back! Why is it so hard to just be where I so want to be? Thoughts flooded my head, I couldn't sleep, and so I lay in bed and cried, imagining that in the morning I, too, would be waking up far before the sun and boarding a plane that would take me back to the place I miss. At 11:30, I was almost asleep, but not feeling any better, my phone made the text message noise, and I looked to find a test from Lizzy, that sarcastic angel; 'just think, you'll be living there soon.' That was what I needed to hear. A reminder to be patient and keep working, because soon it will pay off and I will get to live in a place I never knew I would need to be. For now, I will work and trust and wait, and pray for my brother and friend as they encounter God in my favorite place on earth. Good luck, August team 2012! I wish I were there to learn and serve with you! I'll be praying.
-mads

No comments:

Post a Comment