Sunday, March 18, 2012

Me Of Little Faith

Greetings, everyone! I have an excellent update on the progress towards my trip to Morocco: I have acquired a laptop! I knew I would need one in order to keep in touch with friends and family and keep posting here, and so I had been praying that I would have enough money by August to buy one. Amazingly, when a family friend of ours heard about my plans for next year, she donated the computer to my trip; completely free! It is so perfect, and so tiny. It's a DELL mini, and it's basically an adorable travel-sized baby computer. I am so thankful, and also ashamed by my previous lack of faith. I can't believe I doubted if I would have all I need for this trip. If I'm truly meant to go, of course I'll have all that I need. Maybe not an ounce more than I need, but perhaps that's how it should be. In the spirit of having only what I need, I am trying to give away one possession every day for as long as I can. It's challenging!
     On an unrelated note, something funny happened to me today. As some of you know, I help out and occasionally teach Sunday-school for ages 3.5-5 years old at Journey church. This week I was scheduled to teach, and I was going to teach the story of the prodigal son. I was told I would be using props; a robe, a ring, money, and sandals. My mom said I didn't need to bring any of these things from home, because the church would already have them set up in the classroom. I needed these props for the end of the story, when the father welcomes his lost son home and gives him a fancy robe, a beautiful ring, and elaborate sandals. The money was for the beginning of the story, when the foolish son spends all of his inheritance. We got there, and there were indeed props, but not ideal ones. I was given a blue Snuggie, patent leather high heels with bows on the front, an enormous turquoise ring, and yellow monopoly money. I cannot imagine how ridiculous I looked as I told the story, throwing yellow monopoly money into the air while wearing the Snuggie backwards and the heels with my bunchy white socks wrinkling out of the top. If those children got any divine meaning out of that story, it was probably a miracle. Hilariously, the theme of the story was "forgiveness." I hope my Sunday-school children will take the lesson to heart and forgive me for my hideous interpretation of a Bible story. For those of us still in school: I hope all of you had a glorious spring break. hang in there, we've only got a little ways left to go. Work hard and make yourself proud.

1 comment: