Friday, September 30, 2011

Be Nicer Than Me.

You know those people who you simply CANNOT tolerate? We all have them, the people in our lives that every single thing that escapes their mouths makes us want to tear all our hair out and every single thing they do makes us want to jump off the roof just to get away from them. I tell other people to be patient with them, I tell myself to be patient with them, but somehow, when faced with one of these least-favorite people, I forget all too quickly. A situation that is pertinent to this topic occurred today, while I sat in U.S. History, minding my own business. I sit near the front of the room, close to the projector screen. We were watching a historical film about the 13 colonies, in which actors in powdered wigs prance around in front of a backdrop, declaring independence doing all those things that they did back then. Since the nice, quiet girl who usually sits behind me was gone, a certain intolerable individual came from his seat in the back of the room to sit in all-too-near proximity to me in that empty desk, intent on getting the BEST possible view of a movie no one really cares about. At the start of the film I was mildly annoyed just because he was near me, but when his legs hit the back of my desk for the millionth time, and once I realized he was being a brat on purpose, I lost a bit of my cool, whipped around and demanded rather rudely "MOVE your legs. Now." he swore at me under his breath, but I did not care in the least. I was working on pretending he wasn't there when he decided to intrude on my feet with his feet. Why a person would think they need the room under their desk AND mine is beyond me, yet there he was anyway, tapping me feet with his, pretending that they weren't my feet and that I didn't actually want to punch his teeth out. That time I almost lost it completely, and giving him the eyes of death, said loud enough for most everyone to hear, "WHAT IS YOUR DEAL!?" He wasn't thrilled about that either, but I've heard all those words before. So, I was not patient today. I am guilty of being a controlling and cranky teenage girl. On top of it all, the room smelled like feet. I blamed it on him. I shouldn't have been impatient, I shouldn't have yelled at him. I tell you this because I understand, sometimes people are terrible, but learn from my mistakes, and be a nice person, because things will be happier if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment