Monday, July 11, 2011

Camp, the week of Planned Spontaneity. Part II

This is part two of the previous post, so I'll just keep going. After Wednesday night, which was quite possibly one of the worst nights ever, we still couldn't keep food down. It was thought to be a 24 hour thing, but alas, we were in it for the long haul. On Thursday Rach and I looked like walking death, and we felt about the same. We took command of the couch in the lodge and stayed there all day, too tired and queasy to do anything else. Thursday however, granted us a gift. That evening, while I was talking to Timmy in the lodge, thunder and lightning shook the whole place and rain and marble-sized hail began pelting down. It didn't matter then how hungry or sick I was, we jumped off the couch and raced out the door. After a couple minutes we found the rest of our friends (great minds think alike?), and danced, splashed and laughed together in the storm. It was a dose of life's most potent medicine. And it was marvelous. We showed up to dinner soaking wet, freezing cold, and blissfully happy. I was healthy enough to attend chapel that night, and when we sang my favorite old-school camp song, "The Slinky Song," I nearly fainted from the lack of food and the effort of singing. That night we did our third and final interpretive dance, and it was fabulous. Friday morning, we still had not eaten. Rachel was still feeling rotten but I thought I was better so I ate a biscuit at breakfast. The nurse was getting worried, so Rachel was going home a day early. I was going to stay, that is, I was until I barfed up the biscuit and all the water I drank. So I was going home too. As we packed up our stuff I sat on the floor and cried. I didn't want to say goodbye yet. I never do. As we waited for Rachel's mom to come pick us up, we watched the rest of camp play water games and dance on the field, and an honest tear rolled down my face. I was missing my favorite part of camp. When we left, our friends hugged us and I wished so badly that I could have stayed but two entire days without food were taking a toll on me. As we sat in the van, Rachel and I looked across at each others tired faces, and I knew we had to go through this together, even though it was absolutely horrible. It was supposed to happen, for some bizarre reason or another. When we finally got home, I felt so much better already and for the first time in days, I ate a snack and didn't vomit it up. I'm not sure why I got better when I got home, but it happened.This was just a few of the crazy things that fell from the sky that week in addition to the vast amount of things I learned from God. I could write a whole book about last week, but I'm sure two blog posts is plenty for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment