Saturday, September 8, 2012

Some Early September Thoughts.

How many times do I write about the waiting times in my life? How many times do I find myself in the midst of them? Often, yet here I am again. I don't have any new news concerning Ethiopia (yet),  but I haven't posted in awhile, so I just thought I'd share some thoughts and events of the waiting times of Mads.
-Something I'm learning: the purity of a quiet mind. Keeping your mouth closed is one thing, but to be truly quiet is a whole other deal. Even when my I'm not running my lips off, my mind shouts. There is not enough time to think each agressive thought, they all fight for command, so they run over each other and interrupt one another. So lately I've been trying to learn how to be quiet in both body and mind. It's more difficult than you might think in our culture of system overload and multitasking. However, when I am able to quiet my mind, there is a renewed clarity and gentle beauty to subtle things in life.
-Something I'm reading: The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Actually, I've already finished it, but it's too god not to mention. This book. Let me tell you, it's probably my favorite book I've ever had the pleasure of reading. The story of an upper-class appartment building in France, and the lives of its residents, mainly the concierge, Renee, and a twelve year old girl namd Paloma. The author, Muriel Barbery, has an intensely beautiful style of writing that is almost poetic. The original book was writen in French, and the translation into English while retaining the some of the patterns of speach of spoken French only add to its brilliance. This is an amazingly thought-provoking little novel, and I strongly recommend it to anyone. There are three copies at the Bozeman Public Library. You should read it.
-Something I love right now: Naps. I just really like to take naps a lot. I used to strongly dislike naps because I would go to sleep for an hour, and when I woke up, I thought it was the morning of the next day, and I had greatly overslept and no one had had the decency to wake me. Now, I get on just fine with naps, especially after a draining day at work. I come home, eat a snack, go into my room, take off some of my work clothes and fall into bed. Sometimes I sleep for one hour, sometimes I sleep for three. I get a lot of good thinking done before and after I fall asleep. There has been research done about naps, and the findings are that you should probably take one. They help with just about everything, from concentration to weightloss.
Well, that's about enough of this post. I could keep writing, but as you scrolled down over my seemingly endless and unrelated paragraphs, you would probably lost motivation and choose not to read any of them. So thanks for reading, keep thinking worthwhile thoughts and writing your own story.     -mads

No comments:

Post a Comment